September 30, 2024, 01:26:19 AM

News:

You can now use Vixen to program your Prop-1 and Prop-2 controllers!  Get started quickly and easily, without having to learn PBASIC.  Details in the Library forum.

Haunted Attraction RIDE

Started by jukingeo, September 30, 2007, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jukingeo

Hello all,

For the longest time I have always dreamed of creating a haunted attraction, but in a RIDE format.  I have participated in local  haunts before and while walkthroughs are fun, they do generate their share of problems.

What I would like to do is eventually create a haunted attraction that is part of a family fun center and it is something that will 'more or less' run year 'round on a semi-permanent basis.  Thus in a case like this I prefer a ride format.

The trouble is that even though I have ties to the amusement industry, I have been finding it difficult to locate a used set of dark ride cars and a rail system for a decent price.  More then likely if one does show up, it is usually part of an entire attraction (which is usually worthless).  Regardless, even used they are expensive.

I have heard about the newer systems that follow a wire laid out on the floor and this intrigues me, because I am sure there are ways to modify either a golf cart or assisted mobility device to follow a path.  The reason why I am attracted to this system is that it is very easy to reconfigure the ride.  Thus every year just prior to Halloween, I could fully redo the attraction.

Now golf carts or mobility devices are not cheap new, but can be had so second hand.  The only trouble I see with this system is that it works off batteries.  This would mean constant battery charging and the potential for constant battery replacement when they burn out.  This would be a huge nuisance maintenance issue for me.

What I would like is the best of both worlds.  I would like the carts to follow an easily configurable wire on the floor while at the same time picking it's current up from elsewhere (like a traditional ride).   I know the guidance system could be possibly done with a simple Basic Stamp circuit and program to follow a wire on the floor (or perhaps a wire within a protective plastic conduit).

The bottom line is that I am looking for a transport system that follows the criteria listed below:

1) Must be a commonly available transport system that is proven safe to carry two adult (or three child) passengers in one row.  (More than likely the steering system has to be modified to follow a preset course).  A 500 to 600lb capacity is ideal.

2) The system must be inexpensive.  Brand new an actual dark ride transport system comprised of 10 2-3 passenger cars will run about $100,000.   While this is my ideal occupancy, it is not my ideal cost, in fact the entire budget for the transport is more like $10,000.  As I mentioned this will also rule out a used system as well.

3) I prefer the system to be externally powered, but I am willing to accept a battery system, provided that it has long charge use times and long battery life (a very hard combination, I know).

4) The system must be easily re-configurable in which the method used to guide the vehicles is either a flexible wire, hose or plastic pipe.

So if anyone has some good ideas, please let me know.

Thank You,

Geo

menehune

You could use a receiver from a "wireless dog fence" to provide the track.  Place the buried underground wire either on the ground, in a hose or preferably in a slot cut into the floor and mount two dog collars to the vehicle.  Have the controller read the "signal" voltage between the two receivers to determine if the vehicle is centered.
This is based upon a line follower robot that follows a black line on a white sheet of paper.
I remember hearing someone using the wireless fence idea for a robotic lawn mower that would randomly navigate his lawn.  I don't remember if he ever got the device working.
Possibly IR sensors and a reflective tape on the floor, but then the potential exists for the track to be damaged or dirty possibly leading to loss of vehicle control.
Do you have a roof over the ride?  Possibly vehicle roof mounted IR sensors and emitters on the roof.

I'm not too familiar with golf carts, just that they are charged at the end of each day and the batteries are recommended to be replaced between three and five years or so (the ones in my golf cart at work lasted 7 years until one of the six in the bank died-the rest are fine).
Like everything mechanical, maintain them well and they will last a long time.

There are electric golfcarts and gasoline ones.  Gasoline engines have maintenance as well, plus fire hazards, noise and noxious fumes if used inside.  Check with a local fire marshal to see if gasoline powered vehicles can be used indoors.

How about using inline stake wheels mounted to a piece of "L" channel on a wooden base.  You will need to do some engineering to ensure the tracks and wheels will handle your required weight, but some home-built TV dollies use four wheels per side rolling on a 1 1/2" fence top pipe.  Some lighter dollies use 1.5" black ABS plastic pipe.  I believe the pipe can be bent to radiuses as small as 8'.  Securely mount the pipe to the floor, mount a motor with some kind of drive wheel to push the car and have it follow the track.

ilusion

Quote from: jukingeo on September 30, 2007, 11:54:19 AM
Hello all,

For the longest time I have always dreamed of creating a haunted attraction, but in a RIDE format.

What you describe is know as a "dark ride" and there are examples of "home brew" versions of these:

http://www.phantasmechanics.com/darkride

and a good site here detailing commercial offerings:

http://www.laffinthedark.com/main.htm

Hope this helps :)

Vern

--
"Why are we in this Handbasket? And where are we going?!"

jukingeo

Quote from: menehune on October 01, 2007, 06:10:15 PM
You could use a receiver from a "wireless dog fence" to provide the track. 
Possibly IR sensors and a reflective tape on the floor, but then the potential exists for the track to be damaged or dirty possibly leading to loss of vehicle control.
Do you have a roof over the ride?  Possibly vehicle roof mounted IR sensors and emitters on the roof.

I'm not too familiar with golf carts, just that they are charged at the end of each day and the batteries are recommended to be replaced between three and five years or so (the ones in my golf cart at work lasted 7 years until one of the six in the bank died-the rest are fine).
Like everything mechanical, maintain them well and they will last a long time.

How about using inline stake wheels mounted to a piece of "L" channel on a wooden base. 

Hello,

Thanx for responding.  I will go down the line in response to your questions.

1) The RF dog collar idea is a cool one, but I really do not want to deal with RF.  Having dealt with wireless microphones in the past...RF is a pain in the but.  It interferes with stuff and stuff interferes with it.    I was thinking more along the lines of

2) ...An optical system, but as you pointed out.  There is a good chance that the car tires will roll over it in the turns and get the path 'dirty'.  Which is why I am pretty much set on the carrier current method.  A flux coil under the car would pick up on a large current through a low voltage electrical line in a -semi flexible conduit.

3) The ride will be indoors and it will have a roof.   The walls will not go fully to the ceiling because there will be an observation area.  Plus without a ceiling, changes can be made quickly.

4) Power source would have to be electrical because of being inside.  I am hesistant on using anything with a battery though.  Having a car die in the middle of working hours could be a big hassle.   Because of the open ceiling arrangement I mentioned above, I did think about a grid power system similar to what is used in the old fashioned bumper cars.  The grid would be low voltage (or course) and get it's pick up from a follower.  The disadvantage of this is having large poles going from the car to the ceiling and this would in essence limit the actual ceiling height of the attraction.  In addition , parts of the floor would have to be made metal (for the ground pickup), and this could interfere with the carrier current pickup.

5) I guess you mean a " U " channel.  The wheels would hop right out of an L channel.  Two L channels would make a T channel and two sets of wheels would work here.  But again, you are now talking about bending metal that isn't normally flexible.   I would prefer a "track" based on a flexible hose or semi flexible conduit of sorts.  It has to be easy to bend, yet not so easy to bend as if someone walks over it that it retains its shape.

Hello Vern

Yes, I am familiar with both of these sites and I have seen the 'garage' darkride on the Laff In The Dark site (or that could have been on the DAFE site...I don't remember).   I did like the idea of how the guy used PVC piping and that is somewhat a good alternative as something that is 'semi flexible'.  But his method didn't lock the car to the track and in a commercial environment, I think that track jumping maybe a problem.  With the carrier current method, if the car looses its bearings (as if someone shook the car), it would just reaquire the signal and then continue on its way.  As a safety measure I would put a back up system in place such as a couple of side wheels that could move the pickup towards the conduit in the event the pickup looses tracking.  In addition I could implent a shut down feature if the signal isn't re-aquired in a short period of time.

My main problem is powering everything.  The grid method is very involved and while it would allow complete freedom of placing the track anywhere in the building, it may have a higher initial cost than batteries. Batteries have the maintenance and constant charging issues. 

Yet if I could find a semi flexible track with electrical conductors, then I would be more opt to go with a more traditional track electrical pickup. 

So I do have to think on this some more and research some more materials as to what I could use for a track.

Thanx for the input guys!

menehune

October 05, 2007, 02:50:33 PM #4 Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:17:08 PM by menehune
4- I would be worried about running power thru the cars like bumper cars.  Especially with an open roof.  Any inclement weather will kill the ride.  One possibility is to either build a battery bank that will handle the car for 2x the daily power consumption or build a "quick swap" battery bank.  Some commercial electric passenger buses used swappable battery banks for the long, slow charging required to maximize the life of the battery banks.
There are electric forklift plugs that can handle over 75A which should more then handle a motor for an attraction.  When the bank gets low, swap the bank out on a roller system, slide in a replacement bank and you're off and running again.  You have a higher capital cost since you are purchasing double the battery bank capacity, but you can have shorter downtimes for charging since the bank can be charged while the car is in use.  You will also have to add structural supports to the car to access and switch out the banks, plus the rack to hold the batteries, which may increase the car's weight or reduce the passenger carrying capacity.

5- Actually, the L channel would be mounted at 45 degrees so the open end of the channel is up towards the bottom of the car deck.  The wheels are then mounted at +45, -45 degrees from vertical.
looking a little like this dolly-
http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/MembersRigs/dollies/thomasdolly/index.htm
The "V" made by the wheels runs on a horizontally laid pipe.  The pipe is spaced by evenly placed spreaders.  The track looks like model railroad track.

jukingeo

Quote from: menehune on October 05, 2007, 02:50:33 PM
4- I would be worried about running power thru the cars like bumper cars.  Especially with an open roof.  Any inclement weather will kill the ride.  One possibility is to either build a battery bank that will handle the car for 2x the daily power consumption or build a "quick swap" battery bank.  Some commercial electric passenger buses used swappable battery banks for the long, slow charging required to maximize the life of the battery banks.
There are electric forklift plugs that can handle over 75A which should more then handle a motor for an attraction.  When the bank gets low, swap the bank out on a roller system, slide in a replacement bank and you're off and running again.  You have a higher capital cost since you are purchasing double the battery bank capacity, but you can have shorter downtimes for charging since the bank can be charged while the car is in use.  You will also have to add structural supports to the car to access and switch out the banks, plus the rack to hold the batteries, which may increase the car's weight or reduce the passenger carrying capacity.

5- Actually, the L channel would be mounted at 45 degrees so the open end of the channel is up towards the bottom of the car deck.  The wheels are then mounted at +45, -45 degrees from vertical.
looking a little like this dolly-
http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/MembersRigs/dollies/thomasdolly/index.htm
The "V" made by the wheels runs on a horizontally laid pipe.  The pipe is spaced by evenly placed spreaders.  The track looks like model railroad track.

4) Uhhh,  Hemmmm.  I did mention that the ride will be indoors.  I don't recall ever giving an indication that I would do this outside.  The battery bank swap out idea is good in that I wouldn't have to worry about down times due to 'during show' charges...but that would practically double the costs for power.  I still think I am better off with a continously powered system.

5) I have thought about using a single PVC pipe and instead of a carrier current guidance system and use follower cams on each side of the pipe.  The cams would be connected to switches that would respond to pressure.  Once the cam hits the guide pipe, it would activate a steering servo and turn the front wheels accordingly.  However, a fail-safe would have to be implented in the event that that car does jump the pvc guide pipe.  Thus in this way I like the carrier current system better because I could always program the car to shut down in the event of signal loss.  From an overhead monitoring point a flashing red light could indicate that a car has a problem and has shut down, thus that would prompt the ride operator to shut the attraction down to investigate the problem.  Another thing that is nice about carrier current is that it is something that can be switched.  Thus it is possible to even create an interactive attraction and have the cars take different paths and thus add re-ridablility to the attraction (not that I am going to do that for this attraction, but I like the idea of it as something to expand on in the future).