September 30, 2024, 07:18:57 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

I think I burned up my AP8

Started by livinlowe, October 29, 2007, 10:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livinlowe

So, there is was, programming my prop-1 to play sounds that never repeat and I finally got the program running (after running home while I was supposed to be working). I hurredly started hooking my Prop-1, AP8, and RC4 together when.....I smell magic electronic smoke  :o. I looked down and my AP8 was ontop of my prop-1, and the playback and record LED's were both on dimly while the jumper was in the play mode. I pulled the AP8 off, and the record LED goes off. Uh-oh, I'm thinking so I try to play the sounds and only slots 0 and 1 will play.

So, I guess my question is Jon, is it worth it to try to send the AP8 to you guys for repair or did I just make the coolest drink coaster in my house? If its even close to $50 to repair, I don't think its worth it.

To be fair, I haven't had the heart to test the AP8 since I brought it home. I will do this, but I got a BAAAD feeling I know how its going to turn out.

Thanks for the sympathetic shoulder-
Shawn
Shawn
Scaring someone with a prop you built -- priceless!

JonnyMac

We feel your pain, buddy; I just chucked an RC-4 into the trash today due to a similar accident.  The best thing to do is mount it on a plaque as a reminder not to do that again.  Honestly, it would cost more to fix it than to buy another -- but that's your call.

And when you get another, mount it and your Prop-1 onto a board or piece of plastic so that the "hot" bits don't get together unexpectedly; here's a laser-cut plate that we had made by Pololu (www.pololu.com) from a Corel drawing.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

livinlowe

Yeah, that's what I thought. I will be looking into standoffs, mounting boards, and will post what I find.
Shawn

WolfManor

Just as a thought, I went to the local Home Improvement store (Lowe's) and found some Electrical boxes.  Those that are used by electricians to mount electrial plugs and switches in your home.  I picked a "Utility Box" and one box will hold one board.  Then they have the ability to be mounted to the prop in various configurations.  I will upload pictures later if you would like.  They are also paintable as they are plastic (Typically come blue or gray).  The cost is about $2 each and some have covers that work as well.

The next best thing is to contact a local sign shop and get some left over PVC material they may have after creating signs.  This is not very expensive and can be very useful.  And it comes in many colors.

Hope that helps!

Steve

condolaw

I love the idea of protecting the boards.  I have had to tweak programs,  plug & unplug led's, etc. so consider the idea of easy and quick access to the board(s).  This is my first year at playing with the boards, so I currently have mine mounted on stand-offs to a small piece of 1/8 plywood and put a small plastic tub over the top of them (Painted black).  Over the next year, I hope to come up with a better plan.
John
St. Augustine, FL
Condolaw
John
St. Augustine, FL

livinlowe

Good suggestions! I'll look into them!

Thanks
Shawn