October 01, 2024, 03:19:02 AM

News:

Be sure to checkout our Vixen interfaces in the Library forum -- if you want PC automation at near zero cost, EFX-TEK and Vixen is a great combination of tools.

Controllers and the weather

Started by ron5526, January 27, 2008, 11:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron5526

In the past I have built my props with the "guts" in a seperate box.  This method allows me to store the larger props in my garage or shed, where the temps can get quite cold in the winter, and the controller inside.   I was wondering if this is really necessary?  Can a Prop-1 or RC-4, for example, handle sub freezing temps while not in use.  Obviously, being dry is a given and I suppose condensation could be a problem....hence my concern.  Thanks.

JonnyMac

As long as they're protected from moisture you should be fine.  Typically, boards like ours will be fine down to -40 degrees.  What you have to remember is that PCB assemblies have lots of different types of materials connected together via solder joints and these materials expand/contract at different rates.  If you think the storage temperature in your garage or shed is going to be less than -40 then you might consider bringing your electronics inside.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office