June 25, 2024, 10:47:19 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Flickering LED question.

Started by JohnnyL, August 04, 2007, 09:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyL

Hello, I was looking at: http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/wickled.html

My question is:

I have a chandelier, which uses regular chandelier style (small) bulbs. I want to run a flickering LED where each bulb is, instead of the bulb, and then have a hallowed out candle to slip over.

How can this be done? Can I wire the above flickering LED item directly to the wires that will be there after removing the screw in socket?

zeenon

JohnnyL,

I don't see a problem with removing the sockets and replacing them each with a WickLED but realize they will all flicker at the same rate. When you hook up these WickLED to a Prop-1, each WickLED assembly goes to a different OUTx and the program randomizes so each candle flickers at a different rate. I think your better off trying to rerun a pair of wires where each bulb was.

Z

gadget-evilusions

Quote from: JohnnyL on August 04, 2007, 09:29:45 PM
Hello, I was looking at: http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/wickled.html

My question is:

I have a chandelier, which uses regular chandelier style (small) bulbs. I want to run a flickering LED where each bulb is, instead of the bulb, and then have a hallowed out candle to slip over.

How can this be done? Can I wire the above flickering LED item directly to the wires that will be there after removing the screw in socket?

If your talking about a standard run off house voltage 110vac chandelier than no way. The wick led's are made to hook up to the 12vdc out puts provided on a prop-1 and use them to make them flicker. Even just hooking up a wickled to a 12vdc power supply will not make them flicker.
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

Bill and Brian have made good points:

-- DO NOT run the WickLED from anything except 12 VDC; if you connect it to 120 VAC the capacitor on the device will explode
-- the WickLED does not flicker by itself; external control is required

If you cannot completely rewire this chandelier then it would be best to get flicker bulbs.  If you can modify the chandelier, then you can rewire each socket for the WickLED and build the Prop-1 into the fixture.

Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

spajadigit

A question, based on this idea-
Can you leave a prop-1 on, and then turn on the external switch?

(Example- if you have the prop-1 in a chandelier, well, you'd want leave the prop-1 on and be able to turn it on and off from the light switch on the wall, or even a timer. Is that safe?)

JonnyMac

Yes, that's fine; the first component after the power input is the power switch -- you're just moving that off the board.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office