September 29, 2024, 01:27:20 PM

News:

Got VSA?  Want to use your Prop-SX?  Now you can!  See the VSA section of the Library forum for Prop-SX code that works with VSA.

Longer Servo Wires - Are they available?

Started by WolfManor, September 25, 2007, 12:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfManor

Jon (Or anyone),

I was wondering if the 12" Cable Extenders are available in longer lengths?  I know that you somtimes supply 14" but can you purchase longer ones?  In the length of 24" or even up to 60" in total length.  I know I can take a cable extender and splice in a longer wire for each but if they are available I would purchase them rather then modify them.

I have a need to mount an AP-8 and RC-4 some distance from the Prop-1.  Also, I need to put the PIR a great deal of distance away.  Is there a problem with the distance or a limit?

Steve

gadget-evilusions

I can't answer for if long distances are a problem, but here are some 4 foot servo cables that would work if Jon says it's not to long of a distance to do the communications.

http://www.servocity.com/html/48__servo_extensions.html
Brian
Evilusions LLC
www.evilusions.com for all your pneumatic components

JonnyMac

You have to be very careful extending those things.  If you want longer distances, it's best to build your own cables using stouter wire than what the 12" cables are constructed of.  I talk about custom cables and provide part numbers in this thread: http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=39.0
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office

WolfManor

Thanks for the replies guys!

Jon,

Just curious, is there a maximum distance I should be careful about?  Would you recommend a distance to wire size?

Steve

JonnyMac

I'd use #22 (stranded) and not go any longer than 5 or 6 feet.  I've heard of others having success with over longer distances, but I think you're taking a bit of a chance to do that, especially with non-protected cable. 

Hint: After crimping the header sockets to the wire, tack them with a *tiny* bit of solder -- this will make the cables virtually indestructible.
Jon McPhalen
EFX-TEK Hollywood Office